According to the Department of Defense (DoD), there are over 1.3 million active duty Service members serving in the four Military branches and more than 802,000 selected Reservists serving in the six DoD and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) components. Serving alongside the active duty and selected Reservists are their families. These families include over 2.6 million spouses, children, and other dependents who also make sacrifices for the safety of our country and our citizens.2
Military families truly know what it means to serve. Every day they support their Service member, family, and friends through deployments and long hours on the job.1 Whether you are a spouse, child, or parent to a military Service member – take time this month to celebrate YOU and all that you do for others!
If you know or love someone who is a military family member, here are some ways to show them gratitude:
- Volunteer your time to help with grocery shopping, cooking meals, and watching the kids so that a military spouse can take time for him or herself.1
- Connect with the family all year, whether it is over the phone or via the internet.
- Listen to the family. Take the time to find out what they need and how you can support them.1
- Send an anonymous care package to the military family! Whether it is a movie night basket complete with popcorn and candy or a gift card to their favorite restaurant, it will show them that they are recognized and appreciated.1
- Put together a wall at your school, community center, or place of work to honor past and current Service members and their families.
- (2019). Military family appreciation month. Retrieved from https://www.military.com/military-family-appreciation-month